Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Trojan Women

I just finished the Trojan Women and thought that I would share my thoughts on it. First of all I think that this is perhaps the first play that I have had to read that I have enjoyed without having watched the whole thing first. I am much more oriented towards the visual when it comes to plays and other things that are geared towards watching and listening audiences, however, the Trojan Women is such a powerful story full of raw emotion that I often found myself wondering how I had never heard of the play to begin with. It is something that everyone can fear, the loss of everything that you know and once took for granted and the sheer terror of having to struggle through that loss and still live your life. I myself cannot begin to relate to the horror that Hecuba must deal with in this story. Not only has she been stripped of her crown and lost the city she once ruled to become a slave, but she must also lose every member of her household to the war and even bury the grandchild that had once promised to bury her in a lavish funeral. It is enough to bring even the stoutest heart to tears and wipe away thoughts of one's own suffering in the face of what can only be described as perhaps the worst day for any one person.

No comments:

Post a Comment