Friday, February 20, 2009

Thoughts on Antigone

Having recently finished Antigone, I thought that I would put some thoughts down about the play that came to mind while reading the introduction. The first thing that comes to mind is the fact that there would have been only three actors for the entire play, all of them male. It seems odd that, according to Woodruff, Haemon, Antigone, and Ismene, would have most likely been voiced by the same guy especially since they sometimes appear on the stage together. I can't even imagine seeing one man switching back and forth between two different masks when Antigone and Ismene are disputing over whether or not to bury Polyneices.

I'm also stuck on the fact that all these actors would have been men. I just keep seeing this one big, brawney guy switching back and forth between two different masks trying to change the tone of his false setto in order to engrose the audience. Living in this time period we could easily get the full effect of the play with a half dozen well trained actors, but I wonder what it would look like to watch this play in the ancient times.

No comments:

Post a Comment